My soul is full of longing
For the secret of the sea,
Sends a thrilling pulse through me.
―Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Indeed. With the Maldives on your mind, you can almost start adding a tune to the beautiful lines penned by Longfellow. Long touted as a premium honeymoon destination, these islands always charmed visitors with their jaw-dropping scenic beauty. Tourists from all over the world come here to enjoy long walks on white sandy beaches, and sunbathe languorously in the tropical sunshine.
That apart, the Maldives has a lot more to offer than your average island―it is home to some of the most luxurious resorts and spas, not to mention the famed undersea restaurants. Going beyond the obvious, it also has a forest full of tropical plantations, and even a Cold War era RAF base. Without further ado, let’s take a closer look at the best places to vacation in the Maldives, and just be mesmerized!
Interesting Places to Visit in the Maldives
Must-see places in Malé include:
- The National Museum, which houses thrones, palanquins, statues, and many other antiques belonging to the erstwhile Sultanate of Maldives.
- The Sultan’s Park is the sprawling lawn that surrounds the National Museum.
- The Hukuru Miskiiy, also known as the Friday Mosque, is the largest place of worship in Malé.
• Besides Malé, Addu City, Naifaru, and Fuvahmulah, other cities like Kulhudhuffushi, Thinadhoo, Hinnavaru, Dhuvaafaru, and Dhidhdhoo are also worth a visit.
• Those interested in scuba diving should head to Ari Atoll, which has a lot of resorts dedicated to this particular water sport. It also ranks among the best destinations in the world for snorkeling.
• If you’re coming to the Maldives, you cannot miss the famous undersea restaurant at the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island Resort. You may even fancy a stay at the super-pricey Poseidon Undersea Resort (assuming you can afford it, of course).